Souter Lighthouse is located on cliff tops just south of the River Tyne.
Opened in 1871 the lighthouse is famous as being the worlds first electric powered lighthouse.
It is still operational and used by ships approaching the Rivers Tyne and Wear. It is also a museum and can be visited by the public.
In the first photo below, the lighthouse can be seen in it’s walled enclosure with the Keepers house and fog horns.
The second photo shows a closer view of the massive fog horns, while the third photo is a closer view of the tower itself.
For more photos at South Shields please visit our Tyne Photos Website.