Souter Lighthouse South Shields.
Souter Lighthouse is located on cliff tops just south
of the River Tyne.
Opened in 1871 the lighthouse is famous as being the
worlds first electric powered lighthouse.
It is still operational and used by ships approaching
the Rivers Tyne and Wear. It is also a museum and can be visited
by the public.
In the first photo below, the lighthouse can be seen
in it's walled enclosure with the Keepers house and fog horns.
The second photo shows a closer view of the massive
fog horns, while the third photo is a closer view of the tower itself.
For more photos at South Shields please visit our
© Copyright - All photos on this website are
subject to copyright and may not be reproduced on any website or
in print without prior permission. To use any photo please use the
enquiry form at les-bell.com